本課程以心理學作為討論主題，選材自知名部落格“Barking Up The Wrong Tree”，都是與現代生活密切相關的內容。
討論過程中，我們會試著應用課堂中的知識，包括比對自身的生活經驗，或者用以理解相關的新聞事件。老師 Kaidy 相信心理學是實用的科學，透過應用所學，我們將更有收穫。
In this class we will discuss some important ideas in psychology. We will focus on topics and questions that should be relevant and useful to everyone and that stimulate interesting discussions.
This course is in two parts, A and B:
Part A (4 classes):
1. Happiness and wellbeing - How do we define and measure happiness? How can we improve our wellbeing?
2. Personality - What is your personality? Where does it come from? Can it be changed?
3. Persuasion - How do you convince someone they're wrong? How are our decisions influenced by others?
4. Intelligence - What is intelligence/IQ? How important is it? Can it be increased? What is emotional intelligence?
Part B (4 classes):
1. Sleep and dreams - Are you getting enough sleep? How can you get a better sleep? What is the purpose of dreams?
2. Emotions - What are emotions and what do they mean? Are emotions universal or cultural? How can you improve your emotional intelligence?
3. Creativity - How do psychologists define and test creativity? Are you a creative person? How can you be more creative at work?
4. Positive Psychology - An overview of a newer field of psychology, which focues on buildings strengths and finding meaning in life.
Each class will be based around an article from the popular blog 'Barking Up The Wrong Tree' (pre-reading will be helpful but not essential). We will discuss the main ideas from each article and whether we agree or disagree with them. I will teach you about relevant psychological studies in the area, and we'll talk about how the ideas discussed relate to current news and events.